Monday, September 3, 2007

Aug 27 - Day 27 in Vienna








Today featured intense relaxation and an insane amount of fun thanks to the Danube. With the last week beginning, I knew I wanted to enjoy all of what Vienna has to offer to me – including the popular Viennese pastime of swimming in the Danube.

I returned to the Bundesbad Alte Donau, the place I went earlier in the month to swim. I sadly did not swim before, but this time I knew I had to go in and ‘commune’ with Vienna. The water was absolutely freezing and the few of us who went in were definitely the only ones in the whole swim area freaking out about the temperature – the Viennese all simply dove into the water. We were certainly the only non-locals at the place, but after entering the water and adjusting to what actually turned out to be a refreshing temperature, we no longer stood out amongst the many people enjoying the hot afternoon weather.

We splashed around for awhile and relaxed, enjoying the Danube and the view of Vienna from the water. The place was filled with families and babies and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Additionally, I confirmed just how dedicated the Viennese are to their coffee – they have it at their beaches. I’ll miss the little things like that about this wonderful place when I leave. After swimming for several hours, we went to the Donauinsuel, which Dr. O described to us as a great hangout place on the first day. It is very much in the style of a Caribbean beach, and is quite fun and ridiculous.

After that dinner, we headed to Schwedendplatz to check out a site before heading back to the dorm. I wanted to walk on the Otto Wagner bridge that is featured in the movie Before Sunrise. It was a beautiful bridge in the Jugendstil style and it was so pleasant to walk on it during sunset and see a new view of Vienna. Then we chose to do something that I can definitely describe as absurd – swimming in the Badeschiff Wien. Since we were in our suits, it just made sense to go, but of course, we had no idea that it was an athletic pool and further more, not heated! Luckily, it turned out to be absolutely hilarious and certainly the day was one of the funniest of my life.

After going back to the dorm and getting ready, we headed out to Café Kleines – the smallest café in Vienna, which is located around Stephansdom area (but quite hidden). I had a delicious mélange and enjoyed the night at the great little café, which was also part of Before Sunrise.
Overall, today was extremely fun, silly, and perfectly Viennese. I don’t want to leave this city, with its cafés, churches, museums and the beautiful
Danube, but I’m just going to treasure my last few days!

No comments: